Removal of 2 Year Conditions

July 21, 2015




If you were issued a Conditional Permanent Residency Card after marrying a United States citizen or permanent resident, then you will need to apply to remove the conditions on your residence, which initially limit you to a two-year stay. 


The USCIS only issues two-year conditional residency cards because they want to be able to confirm that you entered into a bona fide marriage in good faith and did not get married for the purpose of obtaining immigration benefits.


Before your two-year card expires, you must submit a valid I-751 application with supporting evidence within a specific time frame in order to remove the conditions on your residency.  Continue reading to find out how and when you should submit an I-751 application to receive your 10-year green card. This process is best accomplished with the help of an experienced immigration attorney, who will be able to tell you exactly what supporting evidence your case requires.  Contact an experienced immigration attorney at JRQ & Associates for help preparing and submitting an I-751 application.


When to Renew:


  • You must file a valid I-751 application with supporting evidence within 90 days of the expiration of your conditional status

  • The timing of your application can be extremely important.  If your application is filed too early, it can be turned away immediately and if it is filed late, your green card will expire and you could face deportation.

  • If you do not renew on time, you will need to show good cause for failing to file on time, or you can have an experienced immigration attorney seek an extension before the time limit expires.


How to Renew:


  • You should submit a complete packet including your I-751 application, a cover letter, the appropriate fee, and all required supporting evidence to one of two service centers, which will depend on where you reside.

  • After you submit your application, you will receive a notice that your application has been received. 

  • You could be called for an interview at your local USCIS office, at which time you can have an experienced immigration attorney at JRQ & Associates help prepare you for this interview. 

  • If your application is granted, which is typically between 6-12 months after filing, you will receive a 10-year card. 


Evidence Required:


  • The type of evidence required will depend on your situation, but a general list of common evidence is listed below:

    • Affidavits in support of your application from yourself and third-parties

    • Documents showing joint bank accounts or credit cards

    • Copies of joint tax returns

    • Documents showing criminal history

    • Any property or vehicles jointly owned by you and your spouse

    • Any type of insurance with yourself or your spouse as a beneficiary for the other

    • Birth certificates of any children born to the marriage

    • Pictures and other mementos of family activities and vacations


Joint Filing Requirement:


  • You will either need to have your spouse sign your I-751 application or you will need to file a request for a waiver of this requirement.

  • In general, you can get a waiver if you can show that you are now divorced, widowed, have been abused or would suffer extreme hardship if not allowed to stay in the United States.

  • To learn more about waivers, read this post here. Seeking a waiver is a complicated process best accomplished with the help of an experienced immigration attorney at JRQ & Associates.


I-751 applications can be a complicated process and are specific to each individual’s unique situation. Avoid risking your legal immigration status and submit an application in confidence with the help of an experienced immigration attorney at JRQ & Associates.  Schedule a free immigration consultation today to find out how to get started on your application for a 10-year legal residency card.




Please reload

Featured Posts


November 29, 2016

Call 312.561.5063 to consult with an attorney who specializes in real estate closings and can guide you on home inspection specifics.

Please reload

Recent Posts

December 7, 2016

November 15, 2016

November 14, 2016

October 27, 2016

Please reload

Search By Tags
Please reload

Contact Us



© 2017, JRQ & Associates, LLC. All Rights Reserved.


The photographs on the homepage slideshow are attributed and used under the following:  Chicago River © flickr user Mindfrieze under licence CC BY-SA 2.0


  • w-facebook
  • Twitter Clean
  • LinkedIn Clean
  • Instagram App Icon
  • Yelp Social Icon