December 7, 2016



Generally What You Should Know


After a divorce [or legal separation], where the court has signed off on Judgment for Dissolution of Marriage, it can be difficult to communicate with your former spouse regarding child rearing, alimony, and other financial matters. Sometimes it can be so difficult that you need a mediator or the court’s assistance to resolve the matter. Post-decree matters, usually heard before the court having jurisdiction over the initial Judgment for Dissolution of Marriage, include resolving issues pertaining to the enforcement of the Marriage Settlement Agreement or Judgment, modification of the Judgment, Wage Garnishment Orders, Child Support Orders and Qualified Domestic Relations Orders.  


When Might A Judge Grant Modification To An Existing Decree?


A judge might grant modification in the event of “changed circumstances.” Consider child support, for example, where a parent providing child support has been laid off and seeks payment reductions. The judge may grant modification if he is convinced that the parent was laid off and did not quit his/her job to avoid the high costs of child support payments or left the job to go after his/her “true calling.” Sometimes, but not always, a change in custody or parenting schedule might also be considered grounds for modification of support payments. Call an experienced divorce attorney at 312.561.5063 for more information on when a judge might grant modification to an existing decree.


The Importance of Proof In Post-Decree Matters When Going Before A Court


If you are a parent seeking modification, then it is best to keep all records of child support payments, parenting schedules and any other proof that will likely convince a judge to yield to your request for modification. For example, if you made an agreement, outside of court, with your former spouse that instead of paying $2,000.00 for child support each month you would pay $1,500.00, then it is in your best interest to record that conversation or get it down in writing and have it signed by your former spouse. Note that a court will primarily look only to the existing decree when making changes to child support payments, but such evidence definitely does not militate against a court reducing the payments.  Let the experienced divorce attorneys at JRQ & Associates provide counsel for you regarding the proof you need to address any post-decree matters. Call 312.561.5063 to schedule a free divorce consult today!




Please reload

Featured Posts


November 29, 2016

Call 312.561.5063 to consult with an attorney who specializes in real estate closings and can guide you on home inspection specifics.

Please reload

Recent Posts

December 7, 2016

November 15, 2016

November 14, 2016

October 27, 2016

Please reload

Search By Tags
Please reload

Contact Us



© 2017, JRQ & Associates, LLC. All Rights Reserved.


The photographs on the homepage slideshow are attributed and used under the following:  Chicago River © flickr user Mindfrieze under licence CC BY-SA 2.0


  • w-facebook
  • Twitter Clean
  • LinkedIn Clean
  • Instagram App Icon
  • Yelp Social Icon