Child Support


In Cook County, child support guidelines dictate that the amount of your income—relegated to child support—depends on the number of children you have. If you have one child, then 20% of your net income will go toward supporting him or her. If you have two children, then 28% of your income will go toward supporting them; 32% for three children; 40% for four children; 45% for five children; and if you have more than five children, then 50% of your income is relegated to supporting them. If you live outside of Cook County and/or if the court does not have jurisdiction over your particular matter, then a different percentage distribution may apply. The court also has the discretion to use a different percentage breakdown than the one Cook County uses after it considers the best interest of the child. Please contact an experienced child support attorney at JRQ & Associates to find out more about when a different percentage distribution may apply and what “best interest of the child” considerations the court will look to when determining your particular child support payment plan.


The court can modify the amount of child support payments based on changed circumstances. A court will consider various factors such as the child’s financial resources at the time you seek modification. The court will also consider whether the non-custodial and/or custodial parent’s income has increased since the initial child-support order. However, not all changed conditions warrant modification. To learn more about any factors not listed above and your chances of getting child support payment modification, you should set up a free consultation with an experienced child support attorney at our firm.


Any parent who cares about his or her child will not purposefully skimp out on child support payments. However, life happens and sometimes you may be unable to make child support payments. Sometimes you are faced with long-term unemployment, you are laid off from your job of ten plus years, your employer determines that he can no longer provide you with full-time employment, your business fails—the circumstances are endless. Whatever reason you have regarding your inability to make child support payments, there are some important things to know. First, the court might require you to pay fines for delinquency. Second, the court might impose interest on unpaid child support. Third, the court might impose imprisonment. Also, if you were to move out of the state of the court that granted the child-support order, you could be subject to the jurisdiction of the federal court system under the “Deadbeat Parents Punishment Act.” This means that you will be subject to the ruling of a different judge than the one who originally granted the child-support order. If you’re in one of these situations, you should immediately contact an experienced child support attorney. Please call 312.561.5063 to set up a free consultation.

#experiencedchildsupportattorney #experiencedchildsupportlawyer #childsupport #childsupportdelinquency #childsupportpaymentmodification #childsupportguidelines

Featured Posts
Recent Posts