Undocumented immigrant? You may still qualify for Bankruptcy.

You may still be able to file Bankruptcy if you are an undocumented immigrant. Bankruptcy laws do not require that a person be a United States citizen or legal resident. A person is typically able to file for Bankruptcy as long as he or she lives, owns property or owns a business in the United States.

In order to file a Chapter 7 or Chapter 13 Bankruptcy, you will have to complete Bankruptcy forms and provide the court with basic information. One of the requirements is a Social Security Number (SSN), or, if you do not have a SSN, an Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN) will be sufficient.

An ITIN is issued without regard to immigration status; the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) typically issues this tax-processing number to those that are not eligible to receive a social security number. While working in the United States, the IRS expects these individuals to pay taxes and thus provides them with an ITIN for this purpose. Both non-resident and resident aliens who are required to file taxes with the IRS can obtain an ITIN and use this instead of a SSN for Bankruptcy filing purposes.

The attorneys at JRQ & Associates specifically focus on Bankruptcy and Immigration, so we can discuss all of your available options. Contact us to find out whether you meet the eligibility requirements to file a Bankruptcy.

#experiencedbankruptcyattorneys #experiencedimmigrationattorney #freebankruptcyconsultation #freeimmigrationconsultation

Featured Posts
Recent Posts